Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Another week gone by...


Well, here we are, another week older. It feels like nothing has happened because we haven't had any major events, but really every week so much is happening now.

As I mentioned last week, we have started solids and are introducing a couple of new things each week. Harrison seems to really like the rice cereal. He opens his mouth and smiles when you feed it to him, so we take that to be a good thing. We are still working on the vegetables and fruits to go with the cereal. He does enjoy drinking from a cup while he's eating. That has been fun for him and he's getting pretty good at it.



Harrison and I went to Whole Foods and bought one organic carrot and the smallest organic butternut squash I could find. My plan has always been to make his baby food. It isn't hard to steam a vegetable and puree it with some pumped milk. I thought the carrots tasted just fine--they were pureed really smooth and were very sweet. Harrison didn't seem too fond of them though, so we gave up on those after a few days.

Since he likes his rice cereal really thick, and is always grabbing the spoon, I thought maybe he'd like to have something with a little more texture and even try putting little pieces of something in his mouth by himself. So, I steamed some butternut squash for him.

I helped him put a little tiny piece in his mouth, showing him how to use his fingers. The face he made was priceless. He was SO unhappy with me for putting that in his mouth. I thought maybe it was the texture, so I tried a bite of the pureed portion. Um, no, it was just the flavor of the squash. I didn't think it was possible, but he made an even worse face with the spoonful of squash, and proceeded to spit it back out at me. His dislike for that was so strong that we abandoned that one right away and didn't try it again.

So, the score is Harrison 2, Vegetables 0.

Since he wasn't too fond of the vegetables we decided to try a fruit. Back to Whole Foods for one organic banana. Thankfully Harrison sure does like his trips to Whole Foods, probably because it's always busy and there's lots to look at. He chattered up a storm and made quite a few friends during this trip.

When we got home we mashed up some banana and tried that. The texture was much more like the rice cereal, and he didn't reject it immediately. He definitely liked the banana much more than either the carrots or squash, so at least we are on to something here. I did break down and buy some jarred baby food, hoping that I can find something he likes and then cook it myself. We'll see how that goes this week...

When Harrison is finished eating, he has a definite way of letting you know. Mark got the brunt of it this time!




Aside from food, the other fun thing we are working on is crawling. Harrison has gotten really quick with his army crawl, and he can cover quite a bit of ground. He is looking much more coordinated in his movements, but still doesn't have a true crawl working.



He is trying to pull up on his toy bin, but doesn't quite have the strength to do it yet. That doesn't stop him from continuing to try every time he's near it though!




He also has a new favorite spot to stop and play during his travels throughout the first floor.




One of his other favorite things to do this week is look in his little play mirror. He likes to babble at the baby that he sees there, which is pretty cute!



That's all for now...time to go wash all of those dirty bibs. Solid food sure does increase the laundry load!


No comments: